There is a trend in business books at the moment to talk about the negatives of meetings.
While I’m no fan of days which are meeting after meeting after meeting, I think for small businesses with teams of 2-5 people a weekly meeting can be an amazing thing.
The key is not to use the meeting as merely a way to pass down information but to use it as an opportunity to connect. Try to make it less about you and more about them.
Here are some guidelines:
- Keep it short and purposeful
- Spotlight a team member and let them share something they’ve learned
- Check-in with how everyone on the team is doing work wise and mental health wise
- Don’t share things that can just be shared in an email
- Come prepared with something you can work on as a team